Symposium Code of Conduct
The DoD Energy and Environment Innovation Symposium is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive space for sharing ideas and knowledge. To that end, all participants are responsible for maintaining a safe and productive environment that promotes collegiality, respect, and equal opportunity for all. Conference participants shall refrain from all forms of discrimination, harassment, and bullying (as defined below) in their interactions during the conference. This code of conduct applies to everyone at the Symposium, including but not limited to, attendees, speakers, staff, contractors, volunteers, and all other audience members.
Prohibited Behaviors Include:
- Intimidating, harassing, abusive, discriminatory, derogatory, or demeaning speech or actions by any participant and at all related events
- Harmful or prejudicial verbal or written comments or visual images related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, disability, or other personal characteristics
- Inappropriate use of nudity and/or sexual images (including on presentation slides)
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking, or following
- Photographing slides or other visual presentation materials without the express permission of the DoD Energy and Environment Innovation Symposium
- Video or audio recording of sessions in part or whole without the express permission of the DoD Energy and Environment Innovation Symposium
- Sustained disruption of sessions or other events
- Real or implied threat of physical harm
- Real or implied threat of professional or financial damage or harm
We value participants’ Symposium attendance and seek to ensure attendees’ experiences are as productive and professionally stimulating as possible. Individuals who witness any of the prohibited behaviors described above are strongly encouraged to report these incidents promptly to the Symposium Team at firstname.lastname@example.org. Confidentiality will be maintained to the extent that it does not compromise the rights of others.
Consequences of Engaging in Prohibited Behavior
Engaging in prohibited behavior by any Symposium participant, including attendees, sponsors, contractors, volunteer leaders, vendors, and anyone with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated. Individuals who are asked by Symposium staff to stop engaging in actual or suspected prohibited behavior shall comply immediately and may be refused entrance to the Symposium without refund. Failure to cease prohibited behavior constitutes grounds for immediate removal from the Symposium without refund and may also result in prohibited attendance at future Symposium meetings. Symposium staff reserve the right to impose other consequences in response to prohibited behavior as may be appropriate, including removal from individual sessions or other specific Symposium events. Symposium attendees and participants are hereby advised that Symposium staff may report attendees’ or participants’ actions to law enforcement when appropriate.
Waiver of Liability
In consideration for admission to the Symposium, the individual registering for the Symposium (“Participant”) acknowledges that neither the Symposium, the Department of Defense, or the U.S. Government (collectively, the “Entities”), nor any of the Entities’ employees, are responsible for any cost, damage to personal property, loss of property, bodily injury, sickness, or death as a result of Participant’s Symposium attendance. Participant agrees to indemnify and hold harmless the Entities and their employees and agrees to take full responsibility for all risks and liability associated with attending or participating in the Symposium in any manner.
The Participant further acknowledges, appreciates, and agrees that Symposium participation includes the risk of possible exposure to, illness from, and death from infectious diseases including but not limited to COVID-19. Participant knowingly and freely assume all such risks, both known and unknown, even if arising from the negligence of the Entities or others, and assumes full responsibility for Participant’s Symposium participation.
By registering for the Symposium, Participant:
- Acknowledges that he/she has read and understands this Waiver of Liability;
- Agrees that they are attending the Symposium at their own risk; and
- Releases the Entities, individually and collectively, from all claims and liability for damages or injuries arising from Symposium attendance or as a result of the actions of any Symposium attendee(s) or Symposium staff member(s), whether caused by negligence, intentional act, accident, acts of God, or otherwise, and whether occurring before, during or after the Symposium.